Road repair and water expense were on the Shirley City Council agenda for its Aug. 14 meeting.

In new business, City of Shirley Mayor Lisa Hackett presented to the council a letter from Community Water regarding two water tank overflow events. The events, the letter stated, the council was told, that the two events were an overflow of 54 gallons per minute for 17 hours. Based upon the city’s contracted rate of $2.75 per 1,000 gallons, the Shirley water department was to be refunded $151.47.

City of Shirley Water Department head Larry Dollar said this was unacceptable, as the bill for the same period was $1,000 higher than normal, per minutes of the discussion. A Community Water System manager was to be contacted about the discrepancy.

In the same discussion, the mayor presented to the council that a Community Water Service representative rode with Dollar, inspecting the city water system. “It has been determined the meters within the city were not reading right,” the council was told, with 6 of the city’s 75 meters, some as much as 40 years old, some as new as six months, found to be accurate.

Costs to replace meters, which should take place on a 10 year cycle, Dollar told the council, was roughly $63 for an analog meter and $150 for a digital meter, with replacing all meters expected to cost $10,000 he said. The water department, at the current budget, could not replace 75 percent of the meters, the council was told. This was due to money being borrowed from the fund in the past, roughly $100,000, and only a portion of that amount has been paid back since 2004.

Dollar also showed that the city is currently at a 12 percent loss rate for its water system - that is 12 percent of the water being moved is not being billed.

The council reviewed bids by Laland Huggins Construction for road repairs on John Henry Road, Valley Drive and East 1st Street, as well as filling in a dip on Lightfoot Drive as discussed at the July council meeting. The council voted to accept the bid, as well as having road ditches cleaned out as part of the repair process.

Hackett also told the council that two truckloads of debris had been hauled off from the old Shirley Bank Building.