In a meeting this afternoon, a go forward-plan was implemented to avoid situations such as occurred last Friday night, Oct. 6, at the Clinton High School football game, Clinton School Superintendent Andrew Vining announced.
In the situation, a response by an ambulance attendant to a student-athlete suffering an asthma attack was, many felt, dangerously slow.
In the future the ambulance will continue to be parked at the same location as it was Friday night, and the EMT will stay with the ambulance. The Paramedic, however, will be on the field, behind the home team bench, per the new plan Vining said.
The one-hour meeting was attended by Vining, City of Clinton Mayor Richard McCormac, School Board President Darla McJunkins, Athletic Head Chris Dufrene and three representatives of the ambulance service.
“It was my role to get a plan going forward, not to determine who is at fault [in the Friday night incident],” Vining said.
The Ambulance Oversight Board, made up of county and city officials, as well as first responder and hospital representatives, is scheduled to meet Monday night, Oct. 16, at 6 p.m. in the county annex building. The group is expected to review the ambulance service contract due to expire in November. Presumably the incident at the Friday night game will be part of the discussion.
In addition to personnel placement, the school’s Booster Club and what Vining called “private sources” have agreed to fund a cart stocked with medical equipment for use during all sports team practices. Further the ambulance service and team doctor Keith Coward will better coordinate response in the future so they can “be on the same page,” Vining said.
Part of the delay in the Friday night response was the attendant assessing the student-athlete, rather than acting on Doctor Coward’s recommendation, who had been rendering first aid from the time the student was stricken.