The 31st Annual Texaco Country Showdown local competition held during last month’s Archey Fork Festival was won by Jess Hughes of London, Ark.. a student at Arkansas Tech University in Russellville. She will next appear at the State Fair in October, vying for $1,000 and the chance to perform at a regional competition.
Others who participated in the local showdown were Angie Hayes, Amy Johnson, Kasey Kimmons, Lindsey Triplett, Peyton Loeschner, Rebecca Rohlman, Sheila Farmer and the Ramsey-Smith.
A church in Marshall is among those to be considered for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places.
The Mary Greenhaw Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church South in Marshall is one of nine the State Review Board of the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program will consider at its meeting next week.
The other properties are:
* South Main Street Residential Historic District Boundary Increase at Little Rock in Pulaski County
* Charles "Bullet" Dean Hyten House at Benton in Saline County
* Whittington Park Historic District at Hot Springs in Garland County
* Building No. 29 near Walnut Ridge in Lawrence County
* Belle Grove Historic District Expansion at Fort Smith in Sebastian County
* Walker Family Plot at Fayetteville in Washington County
* Rogers Commercial Historic District Expansion at Rogers in Benton County
* Gregory House at Augusta in Woodruff County.